So glad to be back making playlists, it’s one of my favourite things to do monthly. This year I thought I’d keep with the themes, this month we are in true season fashion, something that affects many people who reside in regions with harsh winters. We’re talking Seasonal Affective Disorder… Up in my neck of the woods in the Hudson Valley, we have been experiencing very frigid temperatures and a considerable amount of snow. And it’s still only January… ugh, we have another month or so of this nonsense…
Anyway on to the playlist. This one is very reflective of my mood, it’s been a really down time the past few months and it can be hard to shake the feeling.
- Life in a Northern Town – The Dream Academy
- Romeo and Juliet – The Killers (The original by Dire Straits is great too)
- Ghost of You – My Chemical Romance
- Mary Queen of Arkansas – Bruce Springsteen
- Build God, Then We’ll Talk – Panic At The Disco!
- Dark Blue – Jack’s Mannequin
- Black Beauty – Lana Del Rey
- December is for Cynics – The Matches
- Forget December – Something Corporate
- If Winter Ends – Bright Eyes
Again this list is pretty “down” but it’s got a few great tracks on here. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I went with a remake… Just give it a listen, Brandon Flower’s voice is amazing on this track. The first time I heard it I froze. Of course there is some LDR and Bruce. Not to mention the early 00s EMO gems that I still listen to on occasion. I have been on a Something Corporate kick lately. Maybe it’s the SAD, that let’s the EMO do the talking. And on that note, it’s time to end!
All for now,
Title from: Romeo and Juliet by The Killers
This month’s playlist is a little indulgent considering more than a few of these songs were mentioned before on previous playlists! But this is my blog and my playlist and if I want to recycle a few songs who can stop me? This one starts off like Stairway to Heaven, calm cool and mostly collected, a hauntingly beautiful voice building, calculated in the ascend to harder, faster, and stronger vocal and music, only to end up rocking the fuck out! There’s some 90s nostalgia, some early 00s EMO, a bitchin’ classic rock gem, and of freaking course some LDR!
- Sex and Candy – Marcy Playground
- Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley
- Ape Dos Mil – Glassjaw
- Cherry Waves – The Deftones
- Breakfast in America – Supertramp
- Little Razor Blade – The Pink Spiders
- Beating Heart Baby- Head Automatica
- Put me in a Movie – LDR
- Godzilla – Kesha
- Head First for Halos – My Chemical Romance
- Drunk Girl – Something Corporate
- New York City Speed – Kill Hannah
- Summer of Sam – LDR
- Jude Law and a Semester Abroad- Brand New
- Your Boyfriend Sucks – The Ataris
This is probably one of the better mixes I’ve created in a long time, in high school I would name my mixes and since then my favourite was one I called Pop Rocks and Coke, mainly for the Green Day song, and this one, I think we are going with the number one, 90s gem Sex and Candy… All of these songs are super awesome, it’s just a really cool mix. And I am love, love, loving Godzilla these days, it’s just a super cool song, about falling in love with Godzilla, like that’s not the coolest thing that’s happened this year? I’ve been listening to a lot of Glassjaw again, I don’t really know why but it’s like it’s my job. Worship and Tribute is such a great record, it’s a shame they only released one other record. Anyway, give this one a go, it’s super rad! And on that note, it’s time to end!
All for now,
Title from: Little Razor Blade by The Pink Spiders
This post is going up way later than I wanted, but it’s still August right? I went all LDR this time, and this one was pretty easy, her music embodies Summer, class, and what America used to be… When things were simpler, and maybe more romantic, and maybe better, but how could we know, we weren’t there. Any way, put on some mascara, a party dress, high heels, and throw your hair up real big beauty queen style, pour your self a drink and have a cigarette, because your going to need it!
- Serial Killer
- Kind Outta Luck
- Brooklyn Baby
- Go Go Dancer
- High By the Beach
- Queen of Disaster
- Blue Jeans
- Back to the Basics
- Body Electric
- Burning Desire
- Art Deco
- Tomorrow Never Came
- Get Free
- You Can Be the Boss
- God Bless America and All of the Beautiful Women in it
It’s no surprise that I’m finally doing an all LDR playlist. I’m mean come on like 90% of my post titles come from her music. The fact that it took me this long is a bit shocking. Some new some old some leaked but all awesome. I started with Serial Killer, which is one of my all time favorite songs. It’s hauntingly beautiful and super fucked up. My absolute faves are from Born to Die and Paradise. Listening to Ultraviolence now I appreciate it a lot more than when I first heard it, and the same with Honeymoon. At this point Lust For Life is in heavy rotation. The consumability is low right now as I mentioned in my review of the album I like it, I don’t love it. The standouts are great, the cameos are good, it’s a good record, it just doesn’t captivate my soul like Born To Die did. Born To Die came into my life at a time where I was in a really rough place. Both personally and professionally. And when I listened to the record I thought to myself she just gets it. She’s felt the exact same way that I do and she persevered. But as I evolve and grow, her new music has done the same, just not in sync. I hope you all enjoy this one, it was really fun putting this list together. And on that note, it’s time to end!
All for now,
Title from: White Mustang by LDR
For my July playlist we are going with a summer theme, and summer is in full effect. My favourite summer holiday is the Fourth. I love BBQ, beers, sparklers, and fireworks! Iced tea and lemon Italian ice are summer staples. My summer wardrobe comprises of mainly red, white, and blue, with a little nautical mixed in and this playlist will make you grab a burger, a sparkler and an ice cold beer.
- 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) – Bruce Springsteen
- Surf Colorado – Bowling For Soup
- California Girls – The Beach Boys
- Rockaway Beach – The Ramones
- Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven) – Lizzy Grant
- Ocean Avenue – Yellowcard
- Boys of Summer – Don Henley
- Island in the Sun – Weezer
- Rockin’ Me – Steve Miller Band
- Cruel Summer – Bananarama
- Summer of ’69 – Bryan Adams
- Rock Lobster – The B52’s
- Catalina – The Descendents
- National Anthem – Lana Del Rey
- Summer Wind Was Always Our Song – The Ataris
This playlist like many before is just as eclectic as I am. I took a lot of time putting this one together, and I had a lot of fun doing it! So may of these songs are really good, and a little all over the place. I am so looking forward to Augusts playlist! And on that note, it’s time to end!
All for now,
Title from: Gramma (Blue Ribbon Spakler Trailer Heaven) by Lizzy Grant
This month’s playlist is all about songs from the 1980s, which as most 90s kids know was an interesting time for most pop culture, but I managed to find a few diamonds in the proverbial rough.
- Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go – Soft Cell (If it’s not this version I’m outta here!)
- I Ran – A Flock of Seagulls
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
- The Tide is High – Blondie
- Centerfold – J. Giles Band
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World – Tears For Fears
- Got My Mind Set on You – George Harrison
- Take on Me – A-Ha
- Uptown Girl – Billy Joel
- Kayleigh – Marillion
In keeping with my general tastes, it’s mostly rock esque/new wave/prog/and a little pop. A lot of these gems are radio mainstays, so crank up the tunes, grab a Tab and watch some Care Bears, then rock out! And on that note, it’s time to end.
All for now,
Title from: Tide is High by Blondie